On July 8, 2014, The Akwesasne Boys & Girls Club (ABGC) was notified that Executive Director Jessica Cree Jock, was chosen to represent the Eastern Region on the Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) National Native Advisory Committee (NNAC). Mrs. Cree Jock is one of fifteen Boys & Girls Club Professionals representing one hundred and ten (110) Native American Boys & Girls Club in the United States.
The purpose of this Professional Advisory Committee is to provide leadership and insight on Native history, traditions, values and culture that will help establish and refine Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s systems and methods of service to assure the greatest benefit possible for our Native organizations.
“I feel honored to represent the Akwesasne Boys & Girls Club at the National level and look forward to the positive change this will bring to the native youth we serve nationwide.” said Mrs. Cree Jock. During the two year term Mrs. Cree Jock will be tasked with:
- Providing direction on training and professional development needs for staff of Clubs serving Native youth and their families.
- Generating information and direction on current and future program needs.
- Providing input on issues facing Native Youth.
- Support the identification of resources to further BGCA services to Native Youth and to support new and existing Native Clubs.
- Lending her talents for specific activities such as: training, identification of resources and advocacy and expert technical assistance related to Native issues.
ABGC Board President Julia Back Skidders expressed her excitement, “Jessica has been working hard to increase services to the youth and resources for the Club and our National team has taken notice of the change. In the fall of 2013 when we attended the BGCA Native Conference several national staff comment to Jessica on her achievements. The Club is fortunate to have her as the head of our administrative team and program staff!”
The appointment came after Mrs. Cree Jock was invited to apply in the fall of 2013 just after BGCA formed a dedicated Native American Services Unit to serve only native clubs. The unit was formed as part of the reconstruction process initiated by Boys & Girls of America CEO Jim Clark!