• Regular Bingo

    June 26, 2018 Bingo Session

    Jackpot will be $8,750 Canadian!

    Last week's 50/50 payout was $1,115

    Next week’s 50/50 recipient is:

    Indian Bowling Association

     

     

     

  • CKON Radio is now available live using your mobile or iDevice. Simply install the tunein radio app and search for "CKON"

    TuneIn.com  For iOS  For Android

  •  
     
  •  
     
  •  
  •  

State comptroller says eight Franklin County dams pose hazards because of their conditions

KEVIN SHEA, ABRAHAM KENMORE AND JOSH DAVIS , ,

Eight dams in Franklin County currently fail to meet state-mandated    safety qualifications, a Comptroller’s Office report released this month says.

The report states that $360 million would be needed to repair locally-owned high-hazard and intermediate-hazard dams in the state, more than half of which are owned or co-owned by local governments.

The report, which is one of the Comptroller’s Office’s periodic publications on infrastructure, is titled “Dam Infrastructure: Understanding and Managing the Risks” and states that repair estimates could exceed the $360 million figure.

Police blotter: Scam using RCMP

Cornwall Standard Freeholder

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Cornwall Detachment has issued a public notice concerning fraudulent telephone calls.


The RCMP is warning the general public of fraudulent telephone calls which appear to be coming from the RCMP. The callers impersonate a police officer on the phone and inform the victims that there is a large amount of money owing on their personal taxes, and that an arrest warrant has been issued in their name. The callers then demand that a large amount of money be paid forthwith via money transfer. The fraudsters are using Caller ID spoofing, which the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre describes as disguising telephone numbers appearing on a caller ID display. This popular tool allows scammers to disguise their calls, as the call will appear to be coming from local or familiar numbers to trick people into answering the phone and trusting the caller. 

Massena man gets 12 years in prison for rape of child

W.T. ECKERT - Massena Daily Courier

CANTON — A Massena man was sentenced to 12 years in prison Monday in St. Lawrence County Court for the rape of a 12-year-old girl.

Ernest E. Pantaleo, 27, of 12 Tracy St., pleaded guilty in St. Lawrence County Court to first-degree attempted rape, the reduced count of first-degree rape in a plea deal with the district attorney’s office.

Pantaleo told the court that on Jan. 14 in the village of Massena, he had sexual intercourse with a 12-year-old girl.

Video Shows Border Patrol Car Hitting Native American Man, Then Driving Away

Madeleine Aggeler - The Cut

Outrage broke out last week after a video surfaced in which a Border Patrol vehicle appears to hit 34-year-old Paulo Remes, a member of the Tohono O’odham Nation. Video of the incident recorded by Remes seems to show the SUV driving toward him, knocking him over, and then speeding away.

“They just ran me over, bro,” he can be heard saying in the 37-second clip.

Afterward, Remes was taken to a hospital and treated for minor bruising. “I’m doing all right, I’m just a little sore, really,” he told The Arizona Daily Star. He explained that he had been outside looking for a speaker to listen to music. When he saw the Border Patrol car driving down the dirt road in front of his house, he said, he ran into the street because “I know they’ll try and hit me.”

 

Riding by Riding Analysis shows Child Poverty in Canada Knows No Boundaries

Campaign 2000

CNW - With Canada's first federal Poverty Reduction Strategy expected within weeks, Campaign 2000 reveals a disturbing picture of the magnitude of child poverty in every federal riding. The ridings with the worst child poverty rates are home to the highest proportions of Indigenous and racialized people, recent immigrants and mostly mother-headed lone parent families. The report paints a stark portrait of inequality among children and recommends solutions and benchmarks necessary for the long-awaited strategy.

State banishment law increases penalty for those trespassing on tribal land

One Feather staff report

A new North Carolina state law increases the penalty for those who have been banished from tribal lands of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians who decide to try to return illegally.  House Bill 744 was passed 109-0 on Wednesday, June 15 and was ratified by Gov. Roy Cooper on Friday, June 15.

“HB 744 creates the punitive mechanism that has been missing from the banishment provision of tribal law,” said Principal Chief Richard G. Sneed.  “Previously, when Tribal Council banished a non-enrolled person from tribal lands, there was no mechanism in place to deter them from coming right back to the Boundary because it was only a Class 3 misdemeanor.  If they returned, the state court would have to charge them since we have no jurisdiction over non-enrolled persons except in the event of a domestic violence charge.”

New radiocarbon dating methods add evidence to a 20-year-old archaeological debate

- Tableau

At sites scattered across western North America, long, fluted stone projectile points mark the presence of ancient people from a culture archaeologists now call Clovis. For much of the 20th century, the Clovis people were considered the very first Americans. But more recent data has shown that people arrived in North America several thousand years before the oldest known Clovis projectile points were made. But Clovis appears to be the first widespread culture, and it still represents a key chapter in the story of how people spread across two continents.

Beyond the things they left behind, there’s little trace of the Clovis people themselves. In fact, a lone infant skeleton may be the only known representative of the Clovis culture. Due to some discrepancies in radiocarbon dating, however, archaeologists still aren't sure whether the child's remains are Clovis. Now, a new study adds some evidence to that debate.

Mohawk band official drew up 'enemies list' after 2014 protest, lawsuit alleges

Jorge Barrera · CBC News

A band official for a Mohawk First Nation in Ontario drew up an "enemies list" of people involved in a protest against the chief and council, according to a $13 million lawsuit filed in Federal Court.

The lawsuit, filed in March by band member David Stock, names the current Wahta Mohawk Chief Philip Franks along with current and former councilllors. Wahta, which was founded in 1881 by members from the Mohawk community of Kanesatake near Montreal, sits about 180 km north of Toronto.

The lawsuit alleges that a list was drawn up of 35 people who participated in a 140-day protest in 2014 outside the band administration office.

Facebook's 'unpleasant underbelly' policed by thousands of content reviewers worldwide

Sylvia Thomson - CBC News

Sarah Katz's eyes dart around the Palo Alto, Calif., coffee shop.

"Am I OK to speak here?" she said, not wanting to offend anyone within earshot with what she was about to describe. "I don't want to, like, bother people."

Katz is a 27-year-old self-described former "spam analyst" who worked on contract with Facebook in 2016. She spent her days scanning flagged content, deciding whether posts met Facebook's standards and should be kept as is on the platform or were so disturbing that they should be deleted.

Swearing-In Ceremony

Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe

Jul 1, 2018 START: 11:00 AM

The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe will welcome re-elected Chief Eric Thompson, newly elected Sub-Chief Benjamin Herne, and newly elected Tribal Clerk Summer Bero.  Each will begin their three-year term after the completion of the Swearing-In Ceremony inside the former IGA store across from the Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort on State Route 37, Akwesasne.

CKON RADIO
P.O. Box 1260
Hogansburg, NY 13655

Listener Request Lines: (518) 358-3427
Business Phone: (518) 358-3426
Fax: (518) 358-9456

CKON RADIO
St. Regis, QC. H0M-1A0

Listener Request Lines: (613) 575-2101
Business Phone: (613) 575-2100
Fax: (613) 575-2566